Wednesday, December 22, 2004

What Life Brings

My 87 year old mother suffered from a small stroke recently. My daughter and I flew out west to see her. She is recovering but of course nothing will be the same anymore. It is very unlikely that she will be able to live on her own anymore. Medical cutbacks have made it impossible for her to be placed in a care facility so she went home. We (the 6 siblings) will need to take our turns in staying with her. We all live in different parts of the country so that means a lot of travelling etc. Somehow, we will work it out. Things seem to be falling into place but that was not the way it all started out, and I am sure that there will be a lot of trouble yet, concerning our mother's wellbeing, her financial situation and the tug of war between brothers and sisters.
They say that fiction mimics reality and the drama played out while our mother was in hospital would rival any paperback novel. There is nothing like the responsibilty for an ailing parent who will not return to good health, to bring out the worst (& sometimes the best) in a family. Right now one of my sisters ( & that's a story in iteself) is looking after her until the 28th of December. My daughter will be flying out again in the 1st week of January for about a month, after that, we shall see.

I wish all my friends in Blogland a peace filled and loving Christmas with their loved ones. Thank you all for your caring and I will continue when I can.



4 Comments:

At 9:23 AM, Blogger Jamie said...

Hey Maddy. I have seen many families have to deal with all the cutbacks in care facility funding.

They want you to put your loved ones in places where they aren't even allowed to pick you family up off the floor if they fall.

When and if they get kicked out of one of those, they may finally be granted a stay at a nursing home.

But it is a difficult and tumultuous time for all.

I sure hope things are going well. I also hope you guys are dealing with social services in your mothers' home state. They may be able to help a great deal.

Good luck. Email me if you want, I miss having you around!

 
At 10:21 AM, Blogger Maddy said...

Thanks Jamie for your info and support. Will look into S.Services etc. I will try to post again. Hve fbeen through a tough time (marriage wise) this year and trying to figure things out. Love to you and yours...

 
At 8:49 AM, Blogger Jamie said...

I sure hope your doing well. Sounds like things have been rough for you. Since you were the first to ever comment on my blog, you will always have a spot in my heart.

I will think of you, and if you need to you can email me. I can't tell you what to do, but I can be an ear if you need it.

You would do the same for me, I know.

 
At 3:25 PM, Blogger AJ in Nashville said...

I would just like to sit here in your comments to remind you how much you are missed and also be somewhat of a "bug in your ear," encouraging you to return to us soon.

We love you Maddy...

:)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home